Fill out the following form and an expert from our team will process your application.
11 de November de 2020
Let us explain what REIT, a word that has received a lot of attention since the end of the economic crisis, really means.
A word that has received a lot of attention since the economic Crisis stopped passing through Spain is REIT. Gesvalt are specialists and we offer specialised services Let us explain what REIT means.
Definition of REIT: As described by Expansión in their Economic Dictionary, REITs or Real Estate Investment Trusts, are “anonymous listed companies whose main activity is acquisition, promotion and rehabilitation of natural urban assets to be leased out, either directly or indirectly”.
The term REIT (known as SOCIMI in Spanish) is an adaptation of the English REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust).
People nowadays are still unsure on their meaning and requisites. Let’s pick out a few:
REITs they are regulated by regulation 11/2009, from October 26th, modified by regulation 16/2012 from December 27. The aim of this reform is to meet the requirements for making REITs more flexible, eliminating regulatory barriers and improving tax treatment.
An REIT is a company that is listed either on the Spanish or European markets, with investment and wealth requisites and social capital of a minimum five million euros, in cash or property.
Minimum one, either in Spain or internationally.
At least 80% of the revenue should come from leasing or dividends from other REITs. The other 20% can be freely available.
REITs are governed by a tax of 0% in IS, with the exception of Tax on Property Conveyances (ITP) and Documented Legal Acts (AJD). Capital Gains generated by REITs are not taxed.
But there must be allowances for the distribution of dividends.
They must be priced on a regulated market or the Spanish Alternative Stock Exchange.
They must be in the hands of minority shareholders, i.e shareholders who have less than 5%. The lower of 25% of the Share Capital or two million euros in shares. If this is not the case, a Dissemination contract is enough.
One of Gesvalt’s areas of expertise in is the consultancy and real estate advice on the Initial Public Offering of REIT. Feel free to contact us, we will be happy to help you succeed in your operations.